Friday, April 8, 2011

Week One Results

Well, I never did put up any pictures to remind me of the Focused Moms Challenge. I was doing so well at the beginning of the week that I didn't think it would really be necessary. I fell off a little towards the end of the week, mainly because Kaitlin wasn't feeling well and so she took a couple naps and watched a lot of TV. It's so easy to gravitate towards the computer when she is watching a show or movie because she gets totally involved in whatever she is watching. Occasionally she will ask for a snack or ask me to pause the movie if she needs a potty break, but it's pretty much uninterupted me-time. I should be using that time to get other things done so that I can spend time with her when the show is over.

A couple of things that I was reminded of this week:

- Kaitlin gets in less trouble when I spend time with her. She is not as bored and doesn't need to do anything negative to get my attention.

- I feel better when I am productive. When I spend time doing things around the house, I do not feel guilty for not taking care of my family and home.

- I am in a better mood when I spend time with actual people. When I spend time with my kids instead of on facebook, I am happier. Face to face interaction is still the best way to build relationships with people and to feel fulfilled. Plus, when I check facebook every 30 minutes and get upset that I don't have any notifications, I start to feel depressed. If I check less frequently and have notifications, it's more fun :)


- Ethan doesn't cry as much when I am not on the computer. My little man needs attention from his Mommy. He is only one. He does enjoy playing by himself sometimes, but he can't do that all day. He needs smiles and tickles and encouragement.

- When I am not distracted by the computer, I am distracted by other things. Emptying the dishwasher, doing laundry, cooking, and smocking are among them. This is a tough one because most of these are things that need to be done. I guess the challenge is trying to balance those things.

- When I am busy, I don't eat as much. And I probably burn more calories than I would sitting at the computer. I have been struggling to lose weight since Ethan was born. Now that he is done nursing, it is time.

If you haven't joined the Focused Moms Challenge, it's not too late! Head over to ChildPsychMom.com and check it out.

3 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job this week! It's all about becoming aware of your distractions and how they impact your parenting (and your life) and you did just that! Next week we'll start tackling the harder stuff. :) Try putting up some reminder pictures this weekend so you'll be ready for the Monday challenge! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did do a great job this week. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job this week! I learned how much more productive I can be when I am not distracted so much by the computer.
    Courtney
    frog2fab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete