Friday, April 8, 2011

In A Minute...

I just remembered something else I wanted to post about week one. I've noticed lately that Kaitlin frequently tells me "in a minute" or "I'm doing something right now" when I ask her to do something. It drives me crazy!! This week, I realized that she says that to me because I say it to her..a lot! Why do I think that the things I'm doing are so much more important than what she is doing? And why should she stop what she's doing to do what I want her to do when I don't do that for her? Maybe scribbling on a piece of paper or filling up a box with "surprises" doesn't seem productive to me, but to a three-year-old that is learning. Playing is her job right now just like keeping up the house is mine and I need to respect that. That doesn't mean I should have to ask five times for her to do something, but maybe I could respect her job a little bit more and be a bit more patient with her when she is doing something.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE your realization! I am so guilty of the "in a minute" statement. Ugh! We're going to have to work on that!

    ReplyDelete