Monday, April 4, 2011

The Focused Moms Challenge

So, I've decided to participate in The Focused Moms Challenge over at ChildPsychMom.com. Why am I doing this? Well, I'm distracted. I'm distracted from my children during the day and I'm distracted from doing the things I need to do to take care of my family, such as laundry, cleaning, and taking care of myself. I know those things aren't as important as spending time with my children, but they are important to our family and my marriage!

What are the things that distract me? Mostly, the computer. I know, I know, I'm blogging about how the computer is a distraction, but I'm hoping that blogging about the challenge will help me stay accountable. I spend way too much time on facebook, checking e-mail, and reading blogs. There are a couple of reasons that these things distract me. The first reason is that I really don't want to do housework. I hate cleaning. I hate doing laundry. And I hate emptying the dishwasher. The main reason that I think I let these things distract me is that I'm looking for a connection. I'm a stay-at-home mom so I don't really get a lot of adult interaction. So, I get some of that fulfilled through facebook.

I also don't really have close friends. The person I would still consider my best friend lives several states away and has a very different life than I do. I haven't seen her in years and the last time we talked on the phone, I commented that it had been a long time and she casually responded that she keeps up with what I'm doing on facebook. So, I think I am looking for friendships on facebook. I think, however, the connection that I'm really looking for (and need) can not be found on facebook. And that is a connection with God. I still believe in God and have faith in Him, but my personal relationship with God has really taken a backseat since I had children.

So, that's a little about me and why I'm participating in the Focused Moms Challenge. Step One for this week is to tell someone that you are doing this. Check! I think I will have to finish up Step Two tomorrow which is to place a reminder near your biggest distractions to remind you of the challenge. I still need to get my grocery list made so that I can make the most my kid-free time in the morning

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about the More Focused Mom challenge! I definitely am in need of it. I find myself distracted all the time and am looking forward to getting my focus back on track. I am with you on the computer thing! I spend way too much time doing the exact same things you talked about. I just get sucked in and lose track of time instantly! I also find that house wowrk is a distraction from my kids because I am alwawys feeling behind on things! I will hold you accountable if you hold me accountable! =)

    Also.......I am only a phone call away any time that you need adult convo! I know that I do not do a great job of keeping in touch / calling etc but I know exactly where you are coming from. I long for the friendships I once had and do not feel like I have made those connections here for some reason. It is very easy to turn to Faceboook to fill that void! I miss "real life" friendships though. It has even made me consider getting rid of Facebook because ever since I have joined, I have less real conversations with those I used to chat with all the time! Like I said....give me a call any time!

    Enough rambling! Hope you guys are doing great! Miss you all!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete