Sunday, April 17, 2011

Focused Moms Challenge - Week 2

Well, I did OK this week. Polly from ChildPsychMom.com put a few wallet size pictures of the Crosswalk Safety Sign in my mailbox, so I immediately put two of them on my computer. One is on the outside of my laptop so that I can see it when the laptop is closed. The other is taped on the top of the screen. I really wanted to put it next to the keyboard out of the way, but I knew I wouldn't see it as easily there. It was very difficult to find a "good" spot for it. If I were to put it on the left of the screen, it covers up the box where you type in a web address as well as the google search bar. In the middle, it covers the camera and Internet Explorer tabs. On the right side of the screen, it covers the little "x" to close a window as well as my favorites. I ended up putting it on the top left of the screen and yes, it covers up the box where you type in a web page. It is very annoying, but I always see it and that is the important thing. I had one more picture so I asked my husband if there was anywhere else he thought I should put it, and he couldn't think of anywhere. Kaitlin has now lost it.

Our new challenge for this week was to "unplug" by setting up some restrictions for ourselves regarding our distractions. Polly had a very ambitious goal of not using her distraction anytime her kids are around. Since I am a stay-at-home mom and my kids only go to school two days a week, I didn't really feel like that was going to work for me. I decided to try to limit myself to checking the computer three times a day. Once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once after the kids go to bed. I try to close the computer when I'm not using it and that reminds me that I need to wait. My youngest still naps so I try to check when he is napping and Kaitlin is occupied with something, usually TV. I did decide that I will only put on a show if she asks for it, and not just so I can get on the computer! I also put a pad of paper and a pen next to the computer so that I can write down anything I want to do on the computer.

I did pretty well following these restrictions. I even got to our small group Wednesday night and did not know a couple pieces of information that had been sent out late in the afternoon via e-mail. Good thing they weren't super important! My in-laws were in town at the end of the week so it was a little easier to get away from the kids because they were having so much fun with MomMom and PopPop! I even got some major housework done!

Tomorrow starts Week 3 of the Focused Moms Challenge. If you haven't already joined, head on over to ChildPsychMom.com to check it out! I'm looking forward to seeing what the challenge is for the coming week.

1 comment:

  1. Love your post! You are doing a great job. I love your honesty and the obvious work that you are putting in to make this challenge work for you and your family. Your idea about setting up a schedule of three times a day to get on the computer sounds perfect. And don't forget, we aren't going to be 100% at it all the time! Two steps forward and one step back is still progress!

    Can't wait to see how week three unfolds!

    ReplyDelete