Saturday, April 23, 2011

Focused Moms Challenge - Week 3 Results

Well, I have not done a very good job of "unplugging" this week! The challenge this week was to unplug our kids. A couple of ways of doing this might be to limit the amount of "screen time" your child gets or designate a "screen-free" time each day. I already try to limit Kaitlin's TV time to about 2 hours a day, but I thought it would probably be good to have a screen-free time as well. I decided that we would have our screen-free time in the morning - no TV until after lunch. This works out really well because the kids are in school two mornings a week. Plus, my 3-year-old doesn't nap anymore, so I often use TV as downtime for her in the afternoon. This week we had Easter Egg Hunts on Wednesday and Friday mornings so we were too busy for TV anyway. I thought we were doing great until Friday morning when I realized that Kaitlin had been playing games on my iPhone for a half hour. I didn't think anything of it at first and then realized that is also screen time! Oops!

I also didn't really limit TV time as much this week as I normally do. Mainly because I have been making a smocked bishop dress for Kaitlin and was trying to get it done before Easter. I really had no idea what a long process it would be. It seems like everytime I think I am close to finishing, I realize something else that needs to be done before I can move on to the next step. It has been very frustrating and I'm pretty sure I'll never make another one! Although I will have the dress ready for Easter, it's looking like Kaitlin won't even be going to church. She woke up coughing this morning and had thrown up in her bed in the night. Poor thing didn't even realize she had done that. This afternoon, she developed a fever. I guess maybe God is trying to send me a message to slow down and not worry so much about material things, like having the perfect dress for Easter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people whose child has to be dressed to the nines for church or have the most beautiful dress on Easter Sunday. I do usually do buy a nice dress for Easter for Kaitlin because that is something I remember doing as a kid and I liked it. I always felt special and beautiful in my new dress. This year, I just happened to take a smocking class in March where I started the dress and thought it would be nice to get the dress finished for Easter. I do think that I may have gotten a little obsessed with it though! All in all it was a pretty good week. I hit a bit of a slump towards the end of the week, but I'm pulling myself out of it.

1 comment:

  1. I think it sounds like you had a great week! I also found several times that my kids were getting screen time on handheld devices when I thought I was doing such a great job keeping them from watching tv or getting on the computer. I'm finding that even though we're done with screen free week, my kiddos are more open to the idea of trying new things now. It doesn't always have to be electronic which is great. Have a wonderful Easter. Hope Kaitlin is feeling better tomorrow and gets to wear her beautiful dress made by her Mommy!

    Polly

    ReplyDelete