Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Stop Yelling!

I don't think I've ever given anything up for lent before. I've always said I would read the Bible more or pray more, but I usually make a half-hearted effort. This year, for some odd reason, I have felt a pull to "give something up" for lent. So, I started thinking about it and just couldn't seem to decide on anything. Several people I know have given up facebook. And I thought about that a lot. I do spend too much time on the computer instead of playing with my kids or working around the house and it would be a sacrifice. I decided it wasn't the right thing though. Mainly because as a stay at home mom, sometimes that is my connection to the outside world. I kind of gave up the idea of giving something up. After all, it's not something that I've ever done or felt like I had to do. But then, after yelling at one of my kids one day, and getting mad at myself for losing control...again, I decided that I would give up yelling. My kids are just being kids and most of the time, they don't really deserve to be yelled out. So, today I gave up yelling. It's going to be tough, but if I rely on God, I'm sure I can find another way to deal with their misbehavior that won't leave me feeling like I've just verbally abused my children.

My desire to stop yelling at my kids was partially motivated by this picture that someone posted on facebook. Forgive me for not knowing who wrote this. (If you know, please fill me in so that I can give the person credit.)


The first time I read this, that sentence "Stop yelling" stood out. I know that I love my children, even when I am mad at them. But do they? When I yell at my kids, am I showing them love? Do they feel loved? If I had to guess, I would guess not. Children are not just little adults and they can't be expected to behave like adults or think like adults. As an adult, who is capable of reasoning, I have to be the one to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment