Friday, March 9, 2012

Ice Cream Scoops

One of the reasons I think I often end up yelling at Kaitlin is because I just don't know what else to do. We've struggled to find a discipline strategy that works for us. I hope that we've finally found something - now if we could just be consistent with it! Kaitlin loves to have dessert for bed and when she doesn't get dessert, she gets very upset! One day, she actually suggested that if she gets two time outs in a day, she shouldn't get dessert. Since she made up the rule, we tried to follow it. We haven't been great about it, but we decided to modify it a bit going off her suggestion. I cut out an ice cream cone with three different colored ice cream scoops. If Kaitlin gets sent to timeout, I remove an ice cream scoop. If there are no scoops left at the end of the day, she doesn't get dessert.



This is very similar to the system they use at preschool and she seems to understand that pretty well. At school, they start each day on green. For one timeout they go to yellow and for two timeouts they go to red. On Friday, if they were on green all week, they get to pick something out of the treasure box. They also have a chance to get from yellow back to green (but once they're on red, they stay on red). That's where the sprinkles come in. If Kaitlin loses an ice cream scoop, she can earn it back if she gets three sprinkles. She can get a sprinkle by doing various things such as: sharing with her brother, or doing something the first time she is asked. I like this because it encourages me to focus on the positive things more. I definitely need help with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment